Here are the top scrapbook news stories from 2008 according to Scrapbook Update’s traffic reports…
1. Creative Memories Files Bankruptcy
The Antioch Company, parent of Creative Memories, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November.
- Creative Memories Parent Company Antioch Files Bankruptcy
- Key Points from The Antioch Company/Creative Memories Bankruptcy
- Antioch/Creative Memories Bankruptcy Update
- Interesting Thoughts on Creative Memories
- Creative Memories Bankruptcy Extended Into 2009
- Google Trends Update on Scrapbooking (& Creative Memories)
Updated in 2009:
- Background on the Antioch/Creative Memories Bankruptcy Hearing Tomorrow
- Creative Memories Covered on Minnesota Public Radio
- Breaking News: Antioch Bankruptcy Plan Confirmed By Court
2. Black Friday 2008
Despite the economy (or maybe because of it), shoppers were hungry for information on the Black Friday sales the day after Thanksgiving.
- Michael’s Black Friday Ad Sneak Peek
- Scrapbook Update Black Friday Sales Guide
- Walmart Offering Cricut Value Bundle
- DSLR Sale Predictions For Black Friday
3. AC Moore Closes Stores
AC Moore made a surprise move by closing many stores, including almost all of their Florida stores, many of which had been open less than a year.
4. Jessica Helfand Disses Scrapbookers?
Helfand, author of the book Scrapbooks: An American History, caused a firestorm with her comments about scrapbookers.
5. CHA-Summer Sneak Peeks
Interest in the summer’s new products proved that CHA-Summer is hot!
6. CHA-Winter 2009 (and Summer 2009) Are Coming!
The scrapbook industry is gearing up for CHA-Winter 2009, at the end of January in Anaheim, already…and the announcement of a change of venue and an added consumer show for CHA-Summer 2009 sparked some controversy.
- CHA-Winter 2009 Planning Information
- CHA-Summer 2009 Will Bring Some Changes
- More Details Emerge on CHA-Summer
- Update About CHA-Summer 2009 Show Plans
7. Scrapbooking Is Declining
Google Trends analysis shows very clearly what many other factors already were showing us…the scrapbook industry is experiencing a downturn along with the rest of the economy.
8. Pottery Barn Predicts Scrapbook Trends
A look at the Pottery Barn Kids catalog can help predict where trends in the scrapbook market are headed.
9. Inque Boutique Bought By Darice
After seeming to be foundering, Inque Boutique was bought by crafts giant Darice.
10. Elsie Flannigan Leaves KI Memories
Elsie and KI Memories announced they had parted ways shortly after no new “Love, Elsie” product was introduced at CHA-Summer.