CK Media has a job listing up on Monster.com looking for an editor-in-chief for an “Industry-leading women’s hobby magazine.” Although CK Media encompasses more hobby publications than just the scrapbooking ones, the position’s qualifications include “has a strong interest in the paper crafting and scrapbooking industry.”
So whose position is being vacated? Does this have to do with shuffling from Stacy Julian’s leaving Simple – is Jennafer Marten changing positions because of that? Or is one of the other editors at CK Media (Stacy Croninger of PaperCrafts or Brian Tippetts of Creating Keepsakes) changing positions? Obviously some major changes are about to happen at one of the papercrafts magazines. (I didn’t include Digital Scrapbooking in that list because the job description seems to focus so much on papercrafts and doesn’t mention any digital aspect.)
If you wonder if you might be qualified for this position, it is listed as being full-time in Riverton UT (although all three magazines’ offices are actually in Bluffdale, UT so the location is probably listed wrong). CK Media would prefer candidates with at least 5 years of writing and editorial experience, and degrees in English, Communications or a related field.
Other required skills include:
Direct editorial team:
- Coordinate workload so that editorial, art, and production departments can produce magazines, special issues, web content, and other products with minimal overlap.
- Track multiple projects and ensure that all steps on the timeline are completed according to schedule and all handoffs are complete, accurate, and on time.
- Manage budget.
Manage and grow the brand:
- Oversee the strategic direction of the brand and ensure products produced are top in their category and contribute to the brand strategy.
- Work with other lines of business to track product effectiveness and improve product accordingly.
Write, edit, and proof content:
- Work with team to plan content for magazine, special issues, web site, and books.
- Oversee print proofing and QA for all print products.
- Write editor’s note and other articles as necessary.
Overall skills required for this position are:
- Creative, organized, self-directed, and has a strong interest in the paper crafting and scrapbooking industry.
- Solid knowledge of and ability to perform within magazine and web publishing cycle, with a proven ability to produce deliverables for multiple ongoing projects.
- An excellent understanding of the paper crafting industry and our readership, or, at minimum a strong interest in paper crafting, scrapbooking, or other interests pertinent to our female demographic.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills pertinent to women’s lifestyle topics, or the hobby and craft industry.
- Self-directed and able to proactively solve problems and keep an editorial team running smoothly.
- Knowledge of basic computer programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook).
Best of luck to all the candidates!